Monday, December 1, 2008

Smokin at Blacklick


Mostly Cloudy with a Slight Chance of Hell.
This was the forecast I saw when I left to put in a few "test" miles at Blacklick Woods this afternoon.
I stopped at my local Columbus Running Company store to pick up a Sugoi Balaclava for the wind and rain/snow hell coming down when I left. This thing saved me from eventual frostbite.
When I was leaving, the guy told me to have a good run, and I told him "Run? What Run? I am going to go rob a bank" -There was silence.

Okay, so I didn't go rob a bank, but what I did was more astonishing:
I got to Blacklick and decided to run the loop regardless of what was coming down and how cold it was.
I need to work through this winter cold to emerge stronger and more ready to run a few Ultras I have planned for 2009.

I haven't been out to Blacklick for a while and have seen a lot of changes they made over the summer/fall.
They are putting in a paved section of bike path that will eventually link up to other trails close to my house. WOOHOOO! About time!

As I was running down the trail, I was nearly knocked down by a deer leaping out onto the trail just feet from me. No big deal. We invaded their territory and I was merely a visitor. I wasn't able to catch a picture, but was able to snap one of a Doe towards the end of the run.

I finished the run in a decent time and had no foot issues. For someone who came out of a cast about two weeks ago, I'd say I did really well.

I fired my camera man when I got back to my Jeep. Didn't take too many good pictures.
Here is the link to all my pics he took: Blacklick Run.
Notice the "Crop Circle" in one of the photos.
Totals: 4 miles: 38:30 time, 9:38 pace
Ave HR: 168

2 comments:

  1. Nice pace Nick for a first run after the boot days. DOn't over do it.
    Good on you for getting out in that crappy weather this afternoon.Luckily for me, this was "gym" day so I didn't have to even think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhum, isn't hell supposed to be hot ;-)

    Nice come back but in your own words play it smart.

    PS The book is on it's way, I am general useless at going to the PO

    ReplyDelete