Monday, December 8, 2008

Dog Rescue

I was planning on a nice slow run at Slate Run again this afternoon, but instead, I found myself rescuing a Black Lab.
I saw him out in a field while sitting at an intersection, and thought it was a little odd. I pulled over at a church, and yelled at him to come to me, and he charged at me full steam.
He was very friendly as most labs are. He seemed very excited to get into my wife's car.
At that point, I'm mad because I'll most likely miss my chance to run, and secondly, I had no place to put him. I opened the door to the car and he jumped right in and curled up on the back seat. I got in and turned the car around and looked back to see him sound asleep.

I drove up and down the road and knocked on people's door, but no one answered. I kept having the thought run through my head that my wife was going to kill me. I told her once that it was my dream to find a Black Lab along side of the road and bring him home with me and add him to my collection. Now this has come true, and my wife would certainly never believe me.

Skip forward through the phone calls and stuff, he is at a Vet's office to be checked out and boarded until we find his home. I made up a bunch of signs and took them back out to where I found him. He had a collar, but no tags. WTF. Who does that? They only cost a few $'s
My dog's are micro chipped, tagged three different ways, fenced in, and never out of my sight when outside.
Oh well, things happen though and dogs get away and lose their tags and or collars.

Alright, now that I am off my animal rant, I hope everyone else had a great day.


I'll post a picture of him when I get him back.

4 comments:

  1. Good boy... and yes I mean you :)

    If you had kept on driving that dog would still be lost and cold.

    Hope the owner sees the signs and puts a tag on the dog this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing you were there! Tell your loving wife that you get to keep him if no one claims him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I am sucker for animals. I never want to see them suffer.

    Seems people are dumping animals since times are tough. Very sad.

    I think I would be out numbered in bringing another dog home. My Lab would not take it so well.
    Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great dog. I hope you can reunite him with his owners.

    ReplyDelete