Sunday, March 8, 2009

You know, some days I gotta laugh



The plan today was to meet Luc for a 21 miler on the Red/Green loops of the Mohican 100 course. The weather was supposed to be around 70 degrees and was supposed to rain later in the evening. Seems the weatherman got ‘er wrong again. Imagine that. It was pouring buckets when we started out. I was under dressed and knew I was going to be in trouble if I started to get cold.
The temps already were in the low 50's, but the rain was not letting up. I didn't get any pictures because I decided the rain was not about to ruin my camera too and I just put it away.
Rewind a few minutes earlier when I attempted to drop water at the Bridal Staging area. When I pulled into the parking lot, the rain was coming down so hard coupled with the fog and no daylight put visibility at about 25 yards. I pulled in and didn't see a culvert and got my wife’s car stuck. We tried several times to free it, but decided to go on and come back to it later when we had a little daylight.
We started out on the Red Trail with me tripping a few times on the roots and sticks. All I could do was not get mad and keep trudging along.
I felt really good and tried not to think about my wife’s car stuck in the mud a couple of miles away.
Fast forward now past the car, cause we didn't get anywhere with it. We were both soaking wet and cold just only a few miles into the run. We decided at mile 5 we would cut part of the Red Loop and just run to our first aid station at Rock Point. We had brownies there and focused heavily on getting there to eat them.
After scarfing our brownies we had to make a decision: Turn around, run back so we could call AAA to come bail me out. We were beyond soaking wet and tired but we both felt good otherwise.
We ended the run at 12 miles soaking wet and freezing cold. -McDonald's never tasted so good.
I can't wait to get back up there to hit the Red/Green trails again under better circumstances. It was a good run despite the rain/cold/car. You wouldn't think it, but it was.

Luc, I owe you one.

11 comments:

  1. Brownies and McDonlad's were key words to me. I am joining the next run.

    Soaked rats make for a good run for hardcore trail mudders. GREAT job sticking it in for 12 miles. Most would have never even started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to put this on Lucas's as well. That was the funniest damn thing I have read on a blog ever! What a freaking adventure and way to go get the run in you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, we were eating a Big Mac like we had never discovered what one was before. That rain whipped us. Those brownies did help a lot.


    Rob: All I gotta say is: poor Luc. I felt like such a moron.
    I had fun regardless.
    Never a dull moment with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have visions of the car still sitting there in the culvert and you and Luc chowing down at Mickey D's. I assume you retrieved it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having visions of the water rising over the car as you two wander down the trails..
    good job on some muddy miles there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys had way too much fun! McDonalds, BK, Taco Bell etc. always make for a great reward after a run or for doing nothing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I ran at the wrong place. You guys had more fun. I'm sure the water crossing were quite high.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a blast man! We'll definitely do that again... minus the car problem... and the time change... and the freezing cold rain... and the deer you almost hit... and your hydroplaning... and... :)

    You owe me nothing but a true green loop orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darrell: Yeah we got it out. I made Luc pull while I ate the Big Mac : )

    Kim: I had other visions of maybe a tree falling on it, or some one stealing it. My fingers were crossed on that one.

    Michelle: It is my one chance to eat Fast food, so I'll take it when I can. You have that internal furnace to burn food that I have always dreamed of having.

    Don: you should know better than to miss a run with me. The 1st water crossing on the way back on the Red was higher than when we went out.

    Luc: You forgot the almost falling on my face a few times.....
    Green Loop it is. We can figure a good run there soon. I would like to get it in within the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you only have one season there...crap?

    Seriously you need a break!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that there is almost nothing better than the moment you finish a long run in the cold/wet outdoors and get to go somewhere for warm food. The BEST moment evah!

    ReplyDelete