Saturday, March 14, 2009

Pull Up Bar Upgrade

I built this pull up bar last summer out of 1" Residential Gas Line that I bought at Home Depot. Back then, I couldn't do a single pull up so I never knew at that time the cross bar was too big to grip. Now before you go saying it isn't really about grip, I must tell you, I have a lot less strength in my right hand than my left. -Long story, you'll just have to trust me.

Fast forward to my time thus far at Rogue Fitness, and I can now muster out a few pull ups at a time. There is a huge difference between doing them at home versus at the Rogue Compound.

Here at home, I feel like I have no grip and therefore it causes me to lack the pull up power needed to do multiple reps. When I am at Rogue I experience that much less. What I noticed was the bar at Rogue is smaller in diameter than compared to mine. Not by much but it makes a difference. I've been looking at rebuilding a pull up bar, but decided the one I have would suffice if I just rework the cross bar.

The fix:

I went and bought a 3/4" crossbar, and 1" to 3/4" reducers and new elbows to accommodate the 3/4" bar. I disassembled the original bar which in itself was a freakin chore. I put everything back together and noticed a huge difference in my pull ups. I still suck at them, but it will give me a chance to bust out in the garage on a whim and do a few reps.
I replaced the parts where the Red Arrows are. (Hard to see).

2 comments:

  1. Nice fix man. I'm so not handy, I would have just started looking for a new house to avoid fixing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luc: I tell you that made me laugh so hard.
    I'm actually very handy, but, I'd rather go out and run the trails. Nothing worse stuck fixing something.

    ReplyDelete