Sunday, March 1, 2009

Oh Man


Not sure what I was thinking today when I was on my way home from my 15 mile trail run and decided to stop off for a Crossfit workout at noon.
I was feeling pretty good at the time, and now....not so much.
Regardless, I was feeeling pretty good and was ready to battle.
We started off with a warm up which included a 1000m Row.
The skill was the Kipping pull up and Push Press.....hmmmm I wonder what the WOD was going to be?

I really like when we work on K-Pull ups. Each time the instructors bring a different approach to learnining this move and today, it made a lot of sense.

"J" told us to make it a shoulder movement instead of a leg movement.

When I tried what he said, it all clicked. Now, I can only do about 4 in a row when I'm not dead, but still the pull up felt better. At least I am getting better at doing these.
It was the first workout that I didn't do jumping pull ups or assisted pull ups.

On my way home, I was peeling calluses off my hands and popped the blisters as soon as I got home. My hands are raw, but it's all good.

Warm Up:
1000m Row
30 Squats
30 Push Ups

Skill:
Push Press
Kipping Pull Up

WOD:
11 Push Press
7 Kipping Pull Ups
20 Squats

AMRAP in 15 minutes

My total: 6 Rounds

2 comments:

  1. You have such a great attitude; never complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. > It was the first workout that I didn't do jumping pull ups or assisted pull ups.

    Congrats Nick, that's a great day.

    Callus maintenance will become more important to you now for sure. Some tips to help:

    - Make sure you don't let them get too big. File them, sand them, cut them, whatever you have to do to keep them from growing too big.

    - Checkout crossfit.com for a video of Rippetoe explaining how to grip the bar properly. Basically don't grab in the meaty palm of your hand, it folds the skin over on itself which promotes callus growth. Grab instead with fingers first. It feels like a less secure grip, but does help minimise the calluses.

    - When doing a lot of pull ups, try to alter your grip if at all possible to even out the wear points.

    With the above, I've only torn a callus once in 2 years.

    ReplyDelete