Friday, March 20, 2009

Making some Homebrew

I decided to make a batch of beer tonight. -The first of the year. The brew to be: English Brown Ale. I was looking to brew a simple beer and that's what I got.

To start off, everything needed to be sanitized and scrubbed as all my equipment has sat around all winter long. The more I brew, the more I am thinking of ways to make the process better.
I need to be on the hunt for:
Wort Chiller
High pressure Bottle/Carboy cleaner
and so many more miscellaneous items.


I'm not going to go through all the steps involved, but here is a few pictures and descriptions of each.
This process couldn't be any simpler.

Oh yeah, should yield about 50 bottles.


Here is a picture of the initial mash in the brew pot. I'm monitoring the temperature between 160-170 degrees.



The Malt extract going in.



The Hops going in.



Oh man, I wish you could smell this awesome aroma kicking up.



After about an hour, the brew is done and it is time to chill the Wort.



Picture of the Cold Break:


The Wort is now in the Carboy and the airlock is place. The next time I bring it down, it'll be time to bottle it. Should be next Friday.

5 comments:

  1. Nice! I've always wanted to brew my own beer. I don't think I have enough patience to do it myself, but I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jawsome: It is easier than you think when doing it from a kit. It can however get complicated when you start doing All-Grain brews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done. My dad brews a ton - I remember growing up and having the carboys bubble bubble away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ray, I finally got this carboy under control and now it is bubbling correctly.
    You gonna start brewing now?

    ReplyDelete