Sunday, March 15, 2009

Atomic Wings and a 205 Lb Green Guy on a Bike


Went out for the first Bike Ride of the year today.
I had planned this last week, but when I woke up today, it felt like I was getting over a bad snake bite or something. I felt unbelievably poisoned from yesterday's "Atomic Wing episode".
Here is how it all went down:
I got the dumb idea that I wanted to go to Quaker Steak & Lube and try some Atomic Wings. Really, how bad could they be?
I get my wings and the first thing I noticed as I winced my face. The vapors were coming off these wings like a pot of boiling water.
Okay, they look good.
Here goes.
Initial bite, not bad..... 2 seconds later getting warmer....1/2 a second later, oh my goodness.....it's getting worse by the second....how can people eat these? Where is my Mt. Dew? Where is my water? Get these out of here! I need a napkin to wipe my tongue off. My face is on Fire!
(My wife says: Oh come on, they can't be that bad.) She dips her spoon into a wing sauce and tastes it: OMG! How can you stand that? WTF? OMG! That is so wrong! OMG! She finally calms down and mistakenly puts her spoon, with the sauce still on it, back into her soup and then takes a bite. OMG!, OMG! I just ruined my soup!
I am laughing so hard at this point.
There is no way I can finish these wings. Seriously, hot boiling coffee or tea would have been a welcomed feeling to my mouth at that point.
I start on another. My wife says: What are you trying to prove? Nothing, I say. I can't wimp out now. I am on a mission to eat the entire basket.
For real now, after the second wing and squirming around in our booth sweating, having cold chills, heart palpitations, I wanted to run out of the restaurant screaming.
Well, let's just say the Atomic Snake bit me hard. I felt hung over most of the night/morning and I hadn't drank a single beer.


Okay, back to the Ride:
Seemed everywhere I rode today, I was peddling into a strong head-wind.
Despite this, it was a nice day out and all together a great ride. I need to have my bike looked at though because it was making an annoying squeak the whole time when I was peddling.
I rode through some really nice neighborhoods around here and eventually found Rod Parsley's private gated estate. Not sure if you know who he is, but he's the Televangelist of World Harvest Church.

Note to self: I need to buy the following:
Gorillapod Camera Tripod -The one that Stuart has.
Cycling gloves
Fast Forward Carbon Seat Post. -I think my bike is slightly too big for me. Who knows.

One thing I must suggest to all who run/ride in the cold: Buy a DuoFold Varitherm base layer shirt. I picked this up at Sports Authority yesterday for $23.00 and used it on my ride today.
I was burning up within minutes. Luckily I got a call from my wife and she was close by. I told her to meet me to take one of my shirts back home. The rest of the ride I was just right.
I've been looking for a thermal base layer, and I think I found it. Too bad I won't get to really use it until next year.....because it IS going to warm up soon....Right?


Totals:
20.35 miles road bike ride.

5 comments:

  1. I have to say that you should have had beer with those wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I would eat anything at a place you can get your oil changed as well. LOL.

    Stick to the burgers next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They just look wrong!

    Great to see the green, green grass! Nice job on the ride but yes you should get a proper fitting to dial you into the bike, it will make the world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe you should forget the thermal shirt and smear some wing juice on for instant rocket fuel heat. gross!
    i can't take the heat either -would have paralyzed the next day.
    funny story though. sorry - couldn't help laugh.

    ReplyDelete