Thursday, January 1, 2009

2008 - What a year.

2008 was not a good year for me.
Why? Setbacks.
I allowed this to eat at me for a while until I finally woke up and realized my downward spiral.
Looking back on all the disappointments, I truly started to look at them as moments to learn from.

One thing I realized was that I wasn’t in as good of shape as I would have liked to have been, and not nearly as in shape as I thought I was. I ended up not running many races last year, and I don't believe I will change that much this year either. I'm not setting anything in stone yet, but will be merely evaluating my progress on a monthly basis.

My Training.

My training sucked for many reasons. I ended up getting sick in December of 2007, missed Buckeye Trail 50k and The Mississippi 50. Because of getting sick, and "other issues" I simply fell off the wagon and sporadically trained. I paid dearly.
I had it in my head that I could do certain things, but in reality, I was smoking something illegal. (Not really....I swear!)

I Slipped on a Damn Cup.

I had one "real” race that sucked, I ended up getting hurt, which resulted in my worse marathon time ever. -Kind of a wake up call.

Never Give Up.

One thing I take away from this year and into the next, is that I do not give up.
I have lit the fire, and plan to keep it burning as long as I can.
Will I have failed plans? Probably. Will I give up? No.
It's simply going to be what I make of it. What ever happens, happens.

The only plans I have so far are:
Fools 25k - Up in the air
Mohican 50k - For sure
Mohican 100m - At least I am training for it.
Pacing Kim at Burning River 100
Columbus Marathon - Potential

I need a Trail 100 Race out West - Preferably in California. (There's only a million Ultras out there)
Potential 100's:
Lean Horse 100 - Potential
AC 100 - Potential
The Bear 100 - Potential

Foreseen Variables:

I am not sure what will happen with my foot. So far, it seems to be doing fine. It does hurt some, but thank goodness its not when I am running.
Something will happen regarding my sinuses (headaches). I may end up having surgery which may not have much of an effect on my training.
I need to do something about it because I cannot do any significant altitude. When I was going to North Carolina last year, we passed through the highest part of Virginia and I thought my head was going to split.

I hope everyone had a great year, and I look forward to running with some of you and hearing of your accomplishments.

4 comments:

  1. We will have fun working on our goals together. 364 days to go and we will see how we have done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we will have fun.

    I will keep as positive as I can, and work harder than I ever have before.

    You my friend have your goals in the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your year; you know you're going to nail it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice look back at what went wrong and what went right. It's great to read about the effect CF has had on your running.

    A 100 miler in CA, cool. I'll put my vote in for AC100. I look at those mountains everyday. I'd be up for pacing or crewing.

    ReplyDelete