Sunday, January 4, 2009

What goes up must come down...Right?

I was asking myself this today as I started the big climb up Cemetery Ridge Trail at Clear Creek Metro Park. What goes up must come down. At least I hoped anyway.


I love this place. I seriously don't know why I don't use this park more. It reminds me of Mohican but in a smaller package.
This park is situated on the northern part of the Hocking Hills Region in South East Ohio.
Best of all, I hardly ever see anyone out on the trails.

I had it in my head that I was going to get 15 miles in, but that would not be the case today.
When I got to the trailhead, I realized I had no fuel with me. I started laughing when I was searching my wife's car and was only able to come up with Ketchup packets and salt. This would not be good fuel. All I had with me was a water bottle and my camera.

Oh well, I took what I had, which was nothing, and started out on the trail.
Mainly this park consists of single track trail and fire road.
The first climb is a little fun, but when you reach the top you are awarded with a great view from the gas line intersection.

I knew the next section was going to be even more fun. I remembered from the times I've ran the Chestnut Trail section before that there were relentless ups and downs to deal with. To my surprise I was able to run up most of it.

The Lake Trail is my favorite part because you run through a pine section with a few rock formations with a Lake at the end. This loop is only a mile long, but I was able to make it around twice.
When I got to the end of this section the second time, the weather started to deteriorate. I was a little ways from my car and didn't want to get stuck out with no way back if it got really bad.

On the way back I decided to not make the extra loops I wanted to get in 15 miles. I was starting to get a little tired as I had no gels, just water and my iPod. Oooo Yeah, my iPod! I put it on and that was the energy I needed however, the trail to the other sections was already passed.
I'd save that for another day.
My Garmin has never been able to work very well at this park as the hilly sections just don't allow you to pick up reception very well.

Anyway, it was a good day out on the trail. I think this will be a place I will frequently visit when I can't get up to Mohican. Best of all, it's only about 40 minutes from my house.

Check out the picture of Leaning Lena below. Its a giant rock that leans so much it looks like it will fall on you as you drive by. It causes the road to go down to nearly a one lane section:

Totals: 12.5 miles Trail
Foot rub from my wife.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great park, I'd definitely try to run there more often.

    I took your advice and started doing some of the excercises you recommended for my core. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, ketchup packets and salt, I would have killed Ronald for those yesterday LOL The foot rub from my wife, does not sound bad either

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are killing me. How lucky can a trail runner be?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, just wait till I post some pictures of Mohican.
    First, I need to get to Mohican, then take some pictures.

    ReplyDelete