Saturday, January 24, 2009

Out with the Old Plans for now

Okay, again, I am thrown a curveball, and unless it is on Wii Sports, I sometimes cannot hit them.
I've been planning a trip out West to Yosemite and possibly a race in California.
Seems these plans are now on hold. Imagine that.

Rehashed Information: I went to North Carolina back in the summer and while driving through Virginia, I thought my head was going to split. Turns out my giant noggin doesn't like altitude.

Seriously, Virginia? Altitude? Okay, they got some hills, but nothing compared to out West.
I want to play it safe and wait until I am 100% sure I can take any sort of altitude. Even at 8000 feet, there could be problems.

I went to the doctor and they have done 2 CT Scans and eventually an MRI which I had this past Thursday.
They found that my Pituitary Gland is enlarged with a large Adenoma.
This may sound bad, but I got a call from my doctor today and he said it shouldn't be anything to be alarmed about.
Apparently this could be what is causing my headaches.
Anyway, I will have surgery on my sinuses and then a surgery for the Adenoma removal or reduction. I think radiation is involved. Maybe they'll just put me under a tanning bed for a few days.
I have yet to go to the Neurosurgeon and Endocrinologist so, I am unsure what this will do to my training.
Depending on whether this will affect my training, I may just wait until after Mohican 50k to have anything done.
This could AGAIN jeopardize my Mohican 100 hopes.

I am looking at possibly running Javelina Jundred in October. This may give me plenty of time to push for a 100 miler this year. There would be little altitude to contend with. It peaks out at 2500 feet.
I'll get plenty of opportunity to run in the heat and prep for this. I'll be pacing Kim at Burning River 100. Plus, I'll be sure to get all my runs in during the heat of the day.

A while back Tanya, (whom I hope is reading this cause I have not heard from her for a while) mentioned Javelina as a good first 100 miler. Well, seems I am putting this on my short list for now.
The only things I do fear about this race are snakes and the heat. Not to mention a 100 miles.

3 comments:

  1. Good.Hope this will be the end of your problems!! Good luck with the surgery. Yes, races might get put on hold, but getting your health back in order is first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Hopefully they'll be able to get everything resolved. I love out West mountains (although I'm kinda biased, given it's where I'm from...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nick. Especially if you are going to wait to have any procedures done, you should see a naturopath for an opinion. What is causing the enlarged gland? If you risk surgery but don't address the cause is seems you risk the problem coming back. A naturopath will work with you to find things in your diet, or possibly supplementation needs, that a regular doc won't. I have been seeing a naturopath for almost a year, and have been incredibly impressed with the changes they've helped me make and how much they have improved my energy levels and mood. I had no idea I could feel as good as I do now!

    ReplyDelete