Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mohican Snow Run


I wasn't sure where I was going to run today and decided at the last minute that I would head up to Mohican State Park for a run on the trails. When I got up there, I found there to be a lot of snow on the ground compared to here at home. I wasn't sure how this day would pan out.
Seems I got there a little too early as it was still pitch black out even at 7:00AM.


I decided a Donut was in order (just in case some one on the trail needed it) and I headed into Loudonville to see what I could come up with. I found some beef Jerky (for me) and Donuts (for some one else) and headed back to the trailhead. To my surprise I saw a couple of cars pull into the parking lot and it was Rob, Michelle and soon after, Don pulled in. They came up to put in their 20 miles.
We started off on the trail and I wondered how my foot was going to hold up. I taped it pretty good before I left this morning but still worried that the trail conditions would send me back to my car. I've been having problems (surprise) with a bad case of plantar fasciitis. It never ends.
I kept truckin' down the trail and all seemed pretty good.

I slipped and fell on the road due to the ice and went down pretty hard. About 10 minutes later it was rumored that I may or may not have fell again on the trail. You may be laughing, but I cannot confirm nor deny another rumor that I fell in the same damn place on the way back. At least I "may have" busted the other side of my hip but all is fine I can assure you.


I found a little blue gem out on the purple trail. JACKPOT! Earlier, Michelle had mentioned something about Dove Chocolates she had. Seems she dropped one. Or possibly it was so we could find our way. Who knows, but to my amazement, I didn't eat it.

Don and I decided to cut our run a little shorter than Rob and Michelle. They went on to get extra mileage to get 20 miles.
In the web album below you will see the progression of pictures I took. Two points to note is the Little Lyons Falls and the Lyons Falls. The little Lyons falls you have to climb up a huge root system climbing down the cliffs. This trail loop is one of my favorites places.

The trip on the way back was uneventful as I had no idea where anyone was. I lost Don and Rob and Michelle were out on the trail somewhere. I was about a mile from the end and I heard voices behind me and it was Michelle and Rob. These speed demons caught up with us.

It was great to meet you Michelle. Best of luck to Rob and Don on their race next week: The Ghost town 38.5 mile trail race in New Mexico.

Check out more pictures from today's run: Yes, I am picture happy.

Totals: 14 mile trail run.

11 comments:

  1. That was so cool you showed up out of no where. We all were momentarly shocked as you came out of no where. That was cool running with you. You did great out there getting the miles on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,
    You found my chocolate! LOL
    Wonderful pictures you took, I may steal a few for my blog. It was great to meet you and I look forward to running with you again. I'll try to get that K. tape to you. Hope your foot is doing alright, we all managed to fall today so you weren't alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. now that sounds like fun!!!! Tell the truth... you kissed the ground how any times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim: As you know it is always nice up there...unless it is shoe sucking mud.

    Rob: It was great to meet up with you guys. It was kinda weird I showed up out of no where. Good luck next week.

    Michelle:
    Steal as many as you want.
    Just give me a chance and I can find food anywhere. Especially chocolate.

    Robin: Okay, it was three times but, since I found chocolate, all those falls were nulled out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics. Running in the snow looks like fun (for a little while anyway).

    I love the Coke machine in the middle of the woods. I don't remember that from 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos from MO! Looks much different from June and the MO100.

    Hope to see you at the Fools Run again.

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just one donut? That seems flawed.

    Nice pics though on the album, looks like a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick,
    Enjoyed running with you at Mohican and thanks for taking all those great photos of classic Mohican winter.
    Just remember there are no snowballs when the snow is gone. So what does one throw then?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don: I couldn't resist the snowball thing.
    I suppose when it is spring/summer/fall, then you'll have to throw sticks and mud at me.

    You are so lucky to live so close to Mohican.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey, thanks Nick! how've you been?

    hope all is well :) keep on keepin' on
    L

    ReplyDelete