Monday, February 2, 2009

Blackhand Gorge - 8 miles

Sorry for the absence. I haven't been doing anything lately as I haven't been feeling well. I know I'm not getting sick or anything, it's just that I feel like hell.

After my warm and fuzzy Crossfit beating I had today, I set my mind on going to Blackhand Gorge out in Licking County. My wife works fairly close to the park and since we are sharing a car, I thought it would be a great opportunity to get a run in before I picked her up from work. I was hoping this trip out there would help break me of this. I need to read more on the history of the park, but I can tell you it is so nice out there. I beleive this is part of the old Ohio-Erie Canal System. I'm also not sure, but I think the bike path used to be an old railroad track that was converted as part of the Rails to Trails projects in Ohio.
The trail conditions were not great as we all here in Ohio are experiencing. Not sure about you, but this is getting old. I was glad to have my Yaktrax on as the trail was mostly icy slush which made for a great time. My knees and ankles are thanking me for the beating.



I wanted to explore some of the trails up there, but I was really late as it was getting back to pick my wife up.
As you all know, never make your wife stay at work longer than she wants, especially when she is hungry and would most likely chew your head off for dinner.

I cannot wait to get out there in the spring for a better run and see what all this park has to offer.

Totals:
8 mile run
Crossfit

10 comments:

  1. Is it Lucas that also explores this park?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! Isn't it a great park!? You passed my house to get there (I'm the big green barn on the left with all the goats). :)

    Next time, let me know ahead of time and I'd love to either shuffle along with you or treat you to a post race beer (or coffee). Plus, I can show you all the hidden trails that nobody else knows about, though spring may be better for those treks. ;)

    If you're gonna be in the neighborhood again, I'm heading there today for a quick run after lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an awesome park and it seems that worst of the snow has gone for you, hopefully that won't jinx anything!

    CF & a run on the same day; hardcore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great looking place to run and explore.

    Double Crossfit!! Wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great park. Good job getting back with a double workout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle: I cannot wait to get my schedule back on track. I'm hoping that I can do this more often when I get my car back.

    Rob: I think that would be a great idea. Maybe we can talk Kim and others into meeting us out there too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing these pictures make me homesick for the trails in a bad way.

    Still not the first snow of any kind here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin, I finally learned this year that snow has it's place, but when it's been this cold, the snow just never goes away and makes it a bummer to run on.

    My wife and I always wanted to move south, so we could just switch houses?????

    ReplyDelete