Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricane Ike, Twisted Ankle, and the Joy of Living Accident-Prone.

The remnants of Hurricane Ike skirted past us on Sunday, and knowing it was coming, I skipped my morning run and decided I would hit the treadmill later on in the evening.
I got some work done around my house and by the time I finished, the wind had kicked up hard.

I can't say much seeing how the Texas coast was obliterated in Galveston and Houston.
Anyone remember seeing that office building on CNN with all the windows blown out? That was one of our buildings and I was on calls all night Friday, and all day Saturday dealing with it.

Anyway, the wind was ferocious. I have never seen wind that powerful around here in my lifetime. According to the stats we had: Steady Winds: 33 and Gusts: 47 MPH. LMAO! That was nothing compared to what Texas saw.

Apparently it reached 75MPH at Port Columbus which is only 20 minutes from my house.
I could not imagine riding out a Hurricane. Ever! Anyway, I am once again, on one of my tangents........

I ran out into my yard because my hammock was about to become a giant kite and end up in Michigan ( I don't want a Wolverine to pee on it anyway), so I stepped out into my grass to go grab it and the next thing I knew, I was on the ground. Hard! I heard a pop and it started throbbing. I twisted my ankle as I stepped off my patio that is only 8 inches off the grass. WTH?
My wife was laughing, and all I wanted to do was pull her out into the yard and let the wind blow her paper thin ass down the road. That would teach her.

I've been icing it and have a compression wrap on it now.
Tomorrow, I may try rubbing some dirt on it and see how I do at a quick run.

The Joy of Living Accident-Prone. -Sounds like the making of a new book to me........hmmmm.

8 comments:

  1. Take care of that ankle, man. I can't figure out how rubbing some dirt on it will help, though. ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, keep the ice on and get your wife to fetch you another drink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riding out a Hurricane is insane!!! Why would you want to?

    Your wife better be glad you were in to much pain to chase her down. Still, be nice to her.

    A ton of beer may help. Cheers to the ankle being fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darrell,
    In my experience with "The Old School" they say rubbing dirt on an injury takes away all the pain. Who knows.

    SLB,
    I have not figured out how to wrangle my wife and make her do anything for me yet. After 12 years of being married, you'd figure I would have that down by now.

    Robin,
    I no longer think I want to ride out a hurricane after the winds that hit here.
    The ankle is getting better. As long as I play it smart, I'll be back full force in a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, this begs to ask the question how a tough ultra trail runner that has mastered the trails of Mohican but falls off his deck.

    BTW, recover and lets run in Mohican. RICE it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob, you are right.
    I believe a conspiracy is forming that my wife pushed me off my patio, thus the reason she was laughing at me when I was on the ground.

    I have been doing the Rest, Ice, Beer, Elevate thing and all is good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the ankle, Nick, but I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Good rant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tom,
    I am glad I can make someone out there laugh.

    ReplyDelete