Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sunday

Sunday, I ended up sleeping in unlike what I wanted to do.

It appears my cold is gone. The supplements worked. I can tell you, my wife had it real bad. I just did what I could and it seemed to pay off. My wife was pissed as I reeked of Garlic the whole way down here. I kept blaming the dogs, but I guess it was me. She said I had some severe B.O. -I never smelled anything. One time she almost threw up as I belched from drinking a Coke.
Hey, I was not feeling well, and I needed a Coke. - Okay, too much information I know.
I knowthe Coke isn't helping me in the Weight Loss Challenge but so what.

We got up this morning and loaded up the fishing gear and the dogs and headed to Cape Point. As we were driving out, we noticed what looked like die hard fishermen. (These were the guys with giant trucks, with tons of fishing gear on the fronts of their bumpers with big bait coolers). I knew if they were leaving, the fishing was not good. We pressed on anyway. We found our spot along the beach at the Cape and backed in. I unloaded the dogs, and my fishing gear. I had fresh Mullet and Squid for bait.


I was fishing for Bluefish, and Pompano or Flounder. Actually, I didn't give a shit what I caught as long as I reeled something in. If you haven't fished in the ocean, it is a real treat. The waves are pounding you as you wade out and bait cast into the incoming surf.


The seagulls will fly out with your bait as they know a lot of times your bait will fly off as it hits the water. After a while of disappointing pull ins with no bait or fish on my line, I finally landed a big one. Okay, it was only 5 or 6 inches long, but it was an ugly devil. It was my first Flounder. I was able to release the hook and take him back to the open ocean for a release. Near Satisfied with my catch, I started to get greedy. I wanted more. I wanted bigger. Simma Down Now!
I re-baited with Squid and a smaller hook in hope to catch some Pompano. I hear they are good eating. About 10 minutes later, I get a hit. I start reeling it in and feel the pulling. I got one I yelled to my wife. Grab the camera. I felt as if I had a big one. Never have I realized what "The Big One" felt like. Anyway, I was happy to see I had a Sand Shark on the end. He was a cute little thing. I grabbed my gloves and needle nose pliers as I wasn't taking a chance on getting bitten. I don't think Sand Sharks can do any damage. I posed for a picture and tossed him back. An incoming storm cut us off from fishing and we headed back into town.



Crabbin: I decided to set a Crab Pot to see what I could catch. No, I'm not planning on catching King Crab, and no, this isn't "The Deadliest Catch". I took the Mullet head from my bait this morning, and strung it up in the center of the pot. I only set it out in the shallow inlet close to the dock. If there isn't anything in there this evening, I will set it out in the sound a little further out. They are not around here. I am trying to catch Bleu Crab. Not sure what I am going to do with them once I do catch them. I am not sure I have a pit to boil them in. We'll see if there are any in the trap this evening.








Kayak Trip:
The Kayak trip with my wife was fun. We paddled out into the Pamlico sound to get a view of the island from there. The houses are so beautiful. The water at the furthest point we paddled was only about 3 feet deep. I took some pictures of the Pilot House. It was a restaurant that my wife and I visited a long time ago. If I had a million or two million dollars I would buy the place and open the Buxton Inn.


2 comments:

  1. These are actual photo's of life's a beach!

    Glad you're having a great time, great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. S.

    You got that right.
    I am hoping to make it out to the West Coast next year to see what all the fuss is about out there.

    More photos to come from last week.

    ReplyDelete