Thursday, February 21, 2008

Spirit of the Marathon -26.2 miles



I skipped my run tonight and went to a movie instead.


My wife and I went to see the movie encore of Spirit of the Marathon.

The movie centralizes around 6 different runners of varying abilities to follow their progress to the finish line.

The 2005 Chicago Marathon was the event featured with many appearances from nearly all the famous runners of our day. I don't think there was one person (celebrity runner) that I didn't know.


The year they shot the footage of the Chicago Marathon was the year that I had ran it. The movie brought out so many memories, and excitement that I experienced. I would have to say this marathon was my most memorable marathon experience.


I had never been to a "Big City" like that. If you have never ran Chicago, you have to do it!


Anyway, it was really cool to see Elite runners speak of the Marathon and what it takes for them to power their way through a 26.2 mile event. On the flip side, it was cool to see ordinary people like myself, and you-(the reader) and the collective experience of running for 4-6 hours.


If you have no way of seeing it, buy it when it comes out. I know if you are a runner, you will like it. My wife really enjoyed it and she is not a runner. So, who knows, if you couldn't fathom running at all, this may inspire you to run.


I was looking for some inspiration from this movie myself, and I can tell you, I wanted to run home after seeing it. It is about like going to a Rocky Balboa movie, and coming out of the theater wanting to kick someone's ass.


I saw Liz come into the theater. By the way, Liz, I have no idea what happened to your blog link. I lost several about a month or so ago. I have readded you.

2 comments:

  1. you saw me??? i did not see you :( just shadowy faces! i'm excited you were there and you liked it, i loved LOVED it. i was moved to tears when they showed the start of the marathon. that mass of humanity all trying to achieve something that is amazing by any definition.

    :) enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught like the 1/2 nano second of light that hit your face as you walked in. My wife and I were at the top, opposite of where you were.

    I was really moved to by the start as well. To think I was in that sea of people. I love Chicago Marathon so much. I was contemplating going back this year.
    That will probably go down as my favorite marathon ever.

    ReplyDelete