Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday night at the Pickerington Ice Rink

As many of you in Ohio know, it is icy out there. If you have been brave or crazy enough to drive in it, you'll know it is slick out.
I decided instead of driving to the gym and endangering myself and others, I would strap on my Yak Trax, and head out for a run.
Before I started out, I went out to check the conditions. Well, it was cold, wet and slippery just as I suspected.
I found my Yak Trax and stretched them over my Montrail Hardrocks and headed out the door.

As I have found many times before, my Yak Trax have paid for themselves the very first time I used them two years ago.

The roads were clear in terms of traffic, and I felt great the whole time. The tough parts came when I had to run on the sidewalks which had deep snow on them.
I went through a park which slowed me considerably. The snow at times was over my ankles and had a nice icy crunch when I stepped down.
I took my time tonight and just enjoyed being out there. The ice was coming down hard at times, and the temp dropped a couple of degrees.
I ended up walk a little bit up a some hills because of the deep snow added to the incline mad it tough to run. I was in no hurry anyway.


Totals: 7.42 miles......1:21:35......11:00/mi (I almost could have walked faster than that)

2 comments:

  1. I love the Yak Tracks they were a great recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to tell everyone I can about them. Sure beats screwing your shoes. ; )
    I have seen people who have done that and it makes it difficult to run across asphalt, concrete, and rocks. With the Yak Tracks, you can go from one substrate to the next without slipping and falling.
    -Sorry I can't make it tomorrow to Mo. Wished I could join you guys.

    ReplyDelete