Sunday, December 30, 2007

Bad day at Mohican, but gonna stay positve.

I went to Mohican today a little reluctant as I was still not fully over my cold that I caught last week. I felt okay enough to go, but should have stayed home regardless of how I felt.

I got up there to a nice chill in the air, but who cared, we were going running!

I look like Captain Dumbass with my hunter orange "Bubba" hat on. -That thing is getting burned. I guess I would have rather had it on and not gotten my head shot off from the deer hunters.

Anyway, we started off on the new "Orange Loop" and as always the scenery out at Mohican can make you forget all about your worries. Here is a shot of the group rounding up one of the many hills on this new section.

About 2 miles into the run, I developed a nice little migraine that made it all the more fun to run. This happens a lot so, I just slowed down to let it wear off.
Pretty much the whole time, my heart rate was really high and I tried to walk a little to let it come down. About 7 miles into the run, I told Kim I was going to head back to the Covered Bridge and see how I felt. When I parted from her, I started down an old Jeep trail and found where the end of the North Rim Trail and the beginning of the Hemlock Gorge Trail meet. It was basically a 5 minute walk to the trail head.

What made me decided to bail on the group was my new Nathan waist pack was irritating my stomach. I felt really sick and wasn't taking in any Perpetuem or water. Everything at this point was not looking good for me to continue. On top of that, my headache was coming back.
I will from here to eternity never wear a waist pack again. They just don't work for me.

As I was running down the Hemlock trail, I saw a dog ahead of me. It scared the hell out of me because it looked like a small pit-bull. At this point, I pulled out my razor knife.

I brought the knife this time because last week Regis Jr. said he saw 3 huge English Mastiff's while he was running. I wasn’t taking any chances.

The dog and I had a stand off at one point after he charged at me and stopped. He then turned around and ran the same way I was going. After a minute of thinking whether I wanted to continue or not, I started down the trail only to see the dog and his owner with a big Black Lab further down the trail. Turns out, the dog in question was a small something (not sure), and most likely harmless. I think my mind created a bigger dog than it actually was. I talked to the lady and pet the Lab a little bit before heading down the trail.

As I went off down the trail laughing at my idiotic fright, I hear this big crunching sound across the Clear Fork River. I look over and there were these 3 mammoth English Mastiff's walking near the edge of the river bank. They sounded like dinosaurs, and looked the part.

At that point, I almost had a heart attack. (I'm laughing now about it) These were the dogs that Regis Jr. saw last weekend. I couldn't even guess how much they weighed. Their heads were as big as giant pumpkins. I saw the owner with the dogs and yelled “hello” and silently said to myself: "Thank God"
Now I know what Regis was thinking when he saw them last week.

I got back to my Jeep and decided to call it a day. I only got 10.5 miles in, but at least I got out there.
I was just so exhausted from my high heart rate. I’ve got to figure out what the hell is going on. I’m going to stay positive, and just keep plugging away.

I’d like to hear how Rob and Kim did on their runs. Rob was planning 40 miles, and Kim, I think was aiming for around 20 or so. The other two guys, not sure what they got.
I just hope that had a great day.


Totals: 10.5 miles....Time: 2:29:11....Pace: slow as a rock formation


Clear Fork River today.

8 comments:

  1. Nick, I had a blast today. I sure hope that my reflective hat and glove isn't what gave you the headache. :) That's crappy about your dog encounters. I kept pace with Rob and Marty (?) and we only ran into 2 other runners and some mountain bikers. One of the runners we ran into actually ran with us (Zach). I did pass the "pit bull" that you were talking about I think (walking with it's owner and another dog), I'd have been freaked out too if he charged at me.

    I did 15 miles and when I was leaving the other guys were off to do more miles (Rob - 25 more miles, Marty - 4 more miles). My legs wouldn't go anymore on those trails; they had had enough for one day. :)

    I hope I can do this with you all again soon! FWIW: I carried a pocket knive in my water bottle holder too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! More dog drama!!! What is up with that!
    Glad you made it back okay to the vehicle. I still haven't seen these Bull Mastiffs yet!!

    You are certainly having difficulties with hydration packs. Maybe the handhelds will be your best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luc,
    It was nice to meet you today. I hope we didn't scare you away. It is a great group of people at Mohican, so you are always welcome to join us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick,

    Glad you made it out for what you could do. Being sick and running even after recovery is hard. Glad we got to run what we could. I knew you were not feeling well when you slowed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. way to fight through the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your problems, it seems like the end of the year has been a bit of a 'splutter', still next year will pick up and all these trouble will be behind you as will the wearing of a waist pack!

    FYI I ran with the new Nathan vest at the weekend and it was great...write up to follow, maybe it could work for you with handhelds?

    Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SLB, let me know on the Nathan vest. I'd like to have one of those for the warmer weather instead of a pack.
    Your right, the end of this year hasn't gone great. This year (2007), has been a rebuilding year for me. I expect greater things for myself this year as the building continues.

    Happy New Year to you, and to everyone one else out there who stops to visit my rants, raves, and accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete