Sunday, December 23, 2007

Awesome wild day at Mohican...I wished it had rained


From Left to right: Regis, Brad, Kim, Don, Nick (kneeling), Steve, Rob, Mitch.

Kidding of course. It was awesome, but poured down with a lot of fun wind to deal with.
Despite the monsoon that hammered us most of the day, we all had a great time. At times, I saw the rain coming down sideways through the trees.

We started out at 8:00 AM and took the new Mountain Bike trail that is the start of the Orange section of the Mohican 100. This part eventually meets up with the trail close to CR3600.

The new section is awesome. I think once people try it, they will see how nice it is. There are plenty of hills, with very runnable sections. Also, there are some nice downhills to give you a break if you need it. The trail is well maintained by Ryan O'dell, and the Mountain Bike group, as well as the Mohican Trails Club.


I would definitely say this crushes the old section with ease. This should have enough variety to keep everyone satisfied. No more road section here though.

Here is a picture of Kim and Steve. He had drove clear up from North Carolina to run with us.

We came out of Hickory Ridge and the rain was relentless at this point. We were the last of the group but no big deal,
We like running slow becasue it allows us to see more of the trail longer.


I was feeling great and broke away from the small group of runners I was running with. At this point, I was running hard from about two miles out of Hickory Ridge to Campground "A".




On the final section of the trail leading into the campground (at the 1 mile marker), I performed a face plant in the dirt. I hit so hard that I barely had time to put a hand out to catch myself.

I layed there for a second to take in nature up close. I looked around as if trying not to get noticed by the by anyone, then realized, no one is out here except a few squirrels getting ready for winter.
Once at Campground "A", I looked for water Kim had stashed, but I could not find it. I took off and headed back towards the covered bridge.

When I ran this section on Monday, it was covered in snow ankle deep. Today, the trail was nice and soggy but at least I could see it.

The river was down today and the water seemed to be under control compared to Monday's run.

The final 4 miles are hard to run since the rocks and trail are so cut up. There are steep sections that are not runnable, while other sections allow you to fly. I was careful in this section because I didn't want to do another face plant into a sharp rock. I fell once towards a steep muddy embankment trying to avoid falling in the Clear Fork River.


I got back to the covered Bridge soaking wet and cold. I was talking to Regis Jr, and he had told me about 3 huge English Mastiffs on the opposite side of the river that he was on. He said they ran to the edge of the water barking hysterically. He thinks if they would have made it across the river that they would have made him into hamburger.

mmmmm.....Hamburger.

It was a long day even though we only ran 15 miles. I drove as fast as I could back home only to have my wife rip me out of my recliner to go shopping.


Totals: 15 Miles.......Time: 3:23:49.......Pace: Slow as dirt.


Looking at this time and the time I had on Monday seems a little off. I'll have to check and see what happened.

5 comments:

  1. The miles ran of 15.5 was a very impressive 13:16 per mile pace. This is very good considering the weather, hills, and trail conditions. Including any breaks I think you did great! Let me know when you are going to Mohcian and I will come out and run with you if a I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trail looks awesome, what a great place to run and it must be really nice to run a group, sometimes I really suffer from the "loneliness of..."

    I can't believe how quickly the snow melted, one benefit of the rain I guess?

    Gotta love the getting home routine, for me it's usually a shower and then off to the Farmers Market and the rest of the day on the go, still if it doesn't kill you...right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rob. Thanks for meeting up with us yesterday. It is always great to run with a crowd even though we were so spread out.
    Thanks for the compliments.
    I know I am hard on myself, but that is what keeps me pushing harder.
    I would love to go out and do more training runs with you and others, but I never want to hold anyone up.

    SLB, Mohican is a very special place for a lot of us runners who just enjoy getting out there and soak everything up. It takes me 2 hours to drive there, but it is very much worth the drive.
    If you look at the trail with no snow, then the trail at the top of my Blog. -Same spot on the trail.
    There was no snow left.
    When I get done running at Mohican, I come home ready to do anything because I feel so good. In fact, I have a hard time sleeping for days after!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were in great form yesterday, Nick! You smoked us out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kim. That still doesn't equal the many times you have smoked me out there.
    You are still a much better runner than I am.

    ReplyDelete