Monday, December 17, 2007

Mohican....Partial Orange Loop

Proof I was there:

Yes, I have tights on.




I went to Mohican today as I was in desperate need of a long(er) run. Longer than what I have been doing lately.
I parked at Campground "A" as I knew I would not be done until after dark.
I took my headlamp since I knew it would get dark in the woods way before it was time.
I started off, and the first thing I noticed, was that no one had been out there at all. I guess people think it is too cold or something. Or possibly, they are smarter than I am.
As I finished up the North Rim trail, and started on the Hemlock Gorge Trail, I noticed I was ever so slowly being surrounded by water. Even though I knew about where the trail was, I decided to just make my own to save time from looking for it. I think in the end, I was really on the trail, just never could confirm it. The trail in that part was flooded from the river, but runnable if you didn't mind getting wet. It was only 24 degrees out!
Anyway, I had my Rocky Boots Goretex sock liners on which helped a lot. At least I never got wet.
I started to think about running the rest of the Orange loop as it was already 3:30. The trail up till now was hard to find. I thought maybe it would be better if I didn't run the rest of the Orange Loop since there was a potential for me to get lost if the trail was snowed over and it was getting dark. I played it safe and decided to run up the Bill Hill to the shelter then down the road to CR 3006. I turned around there and headed back towards the Covered Bridge. Once there, I decided to run up the hill towards Bridle Staging, and then turned around to reconnect back with the Hemlock Gorge Trail.




I took some pictures of the waterfalls on the way through the first time. I just had to stop on the way back and listen to the water rushing down.
As I headed back towards Campground "A", I stopped one of the Rangers and told him I was parked in the parking lot, and that I was almost done. He was cool with it, and I headed down the road to finish out 14 miles.
The snow really made it a difficult run today. I walked a lot as it was just too difficult to keep a steady pace. It was great to get out there and just run in the snow.

Totals: 14 miles Time: 2:47:52 Pace: slow as dirt


2 comments:

  1. Pretty but cold!

    I broke out my tights and beanie in CA this week at 44f, I've just been here too long I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind the cold so much as long as I am moving. When I run trails up at Mohican State Park, I run a lot slower. Adding to it, the deep snow, you move even slower. There were a couple of times I did get a little cold.
    It was nice to be out there in silence, and just hearing the water rush by from the river.

    ReplyDelete