Sunday, June 21, 2009

Very Happy with my DNF


The 20th Anniversary of the Mohican 100 was this weekend. Something I've been a part of for the last 4 years, I finally got to run this old girl.
I am very happy and proud that I made it was far as I did. My feet hurt something fierce, and I experienced the ups and down associate with this kind of madness.

The race started out with perfect temps. It had rained up to a few minutes before the race and was clear the rest of the day. The temps were not bad and we had a nice breeze for much of the day.
I heard a lot of people complain about the heat. It was warm but, I really didn't think it was all that bad.
I was well hydrated despite severe muscle cramps from mile 21 on to when I dropped out.

The day before the heat and humidity was intense. I was sweating a lot and didn't think to replenish the salt that I'd lost. I think this contributed to the muscle cramps the next day. On race day, I was taking about 2 S-Caps per hour and it seemed to not help. I think my sodium stores were way far gone.

I had a hard time running and a hard time walking. A slow shuffle was all I could do from about mile 37 to mile 42. From there it was a walk until I started running again just before mile 50.

I was feeling great at mile 52 and decided to change socks and keep on going. I grabbed my headlamp as it was starting to get dark out.
About 2 miles out from the next Aid Station My switched on my headlamp and it wouldn't come on. I opened up the case and noticed that I had sweat and water that leeched into the battery case and was shorting it out. I had it around my neck for about 10-13 miles. It's possible water trickled down there from when I was drinking.
I was able to wipe it down and get it working again. Off and on until the Covered Bridge it would shut off on me. It was pitch black and I couldn't see a thing. I was a tad freaked out being out there by myself and with a headlamp that didn't work so well. I know to carry and extra light, which I had in my drop bag at mile 52, I just went off and forgot it.
I made the decision to drop at the Covered Bridge which was about 6 miles away. I figured my feet were just too far gone and unrepairable. I figured the podiatrists were packed up and gone. Had they been there and were able to fix them, I think I would have went on to see how far I could go. Turns out, I got there just in time and they fixed them, but the pain remained. I was done.
I was able to get my feet fixed and get a ride back to the start/finish where I chatted with Colleen and Mike Keller for hours. The winner of the race (Wyatt Hornsby) came in at 19:53!
hours or something.

I had no stomach issues as I believe I have dialed in on my diet and what to do and not to do for races. In all, it was a great race. I couldn't say enough about the volunteers. They were simply awesome.

Totals: 64 miles. Not sure of my time. I think it was 17 1/2 hours or something.

14 comments:

  1. Nick, you did such a great job! Way to go brother. Rest up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you know what may have not worked out right. Kudos for hanging on in the dark. You did great and have a super attitude about the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob: I had a blast and kept just kept going. I think had my feet not been so tore up, I would have at least made it to Grist Mill or further.

    Darrell: I am learning one trick at a time. I think I got my method down almost to a science. Now, for my focus on the blisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick congrats on a great race and a joyful DNF. I was happy to see that you went past 52 miles. :)

    By the way, that (kick ass) pen is in your center console in case you didn't find it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luc: Now I know what to buy you for Christmas! Those pens are awesome.

    I wished you could have made it to the FL. Rest up....we got training to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems odd to hear someone say they are happy about their DNF....I am fairly new at ultras and have only done one 50k so far.

    My mentality is still switching from the racing mode where it is not acceptable to DNF.

    I was prepared to live through that process if I didn't finish the 50k.....but luckily I did.

    I know my first DNF will come as I try longer and more difficult races. I hope I can be as gracefull as you and be able to enjoy the experience reguardless of the outcome.

    As you stated when you were preparing for the 100, you knew the DNF was a possibility and had no quarms about it happening.

    A LESSON WE COULD ALL LEARN FROM YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clara, was that you I passed on my way to the Grist Mill? I thought you looked familiar from DWD GB.

    I am looking into the Darn Tough socks that are made from Merino Wool. Also, I am looking into some Alpaca Wool socks too.
    I don't think the Injinji's are worth it unless you blister on your toes a lot. They certainly didn't do a thing for me during this race.
    Dehydration plays a part too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick- I don't know if I passed you or not. What were you wearing? If you saw me in my typical white hat and white shirt, then we passed each other. I'd love to try out 50 different pairs of socks to see what works- but it's too bad they all cost $50 per thread. Dangit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clara, I had my DWD GB 2009 shirt on, black shorts, visor.
    The girl I saw (I assume you)was running with two guys. I remember white hat, not sure about the shirt.
    I think I saw you at DWD as the first girl that passed me that day.
    I found your race report from the year before, printed it off along with Rob, and Josh's RR and took them with me to Indiana. I was worried about that race and needed info.
    I remember you saying something about wanting to be the top girl for the race in 2009.
    I put 2&2 together and figured it was you and then placed your face with the girl I saw in Indiana.
    I remember faces like none other, but can never remember names!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on going such a long way. I've never reached that point and probably wouldn't have had such a great attitude while taking all that pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job, great attitude. I DNFed my first Mo, but learned so much in the process... came back the next year and made it. Only did the 50 this year, but so good to be back on the trails.

    Blisters took me out the first try too... do you know Fixing Your Feet (http://fixingyourfeet.com/blog/)? That book helped me figure out the connection between electolytes and blisters (imbalance -> puffy extremities -> softened tissues -> blisters), lots and lots of practical advice.

    Recover well! Any day running is a good day.

    bbob

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nick,
    Good job, I am happy for you.
    I once had a light go out on a 100 mile race, but only had 4 miles in the dark. However the section I was on had lots of root stubs. This was a painful experience for me.
    But you did it and went far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Solid run Nick, that's a ton of experience for next year! Just need to get that foot thing under control!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's still one hell of a run - so serious props and congrats on that front. Nothing can take that away.

    ReplyDelete