Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Mighty Mo....and please do Tase me Bro

I am running my first Mohican 100 Trail Race this weekend. Actually, my first 100 ever.
It is the 20th anniversary of this race. I just had to be part of it, finish or not.
I was able stuff all of my drop bags into the required sandwhich bag, or was it the 2.5 gallon one?
Oh well, I got it all into a Ziplock sandwhich bag to conserve space and to keep the confusion down......Inside joke.

I am really unsure what to think of it all. In reality, I don't expect my body to hold up in the later miles.
I have multiple goals set:
1) Wake up on time Saturday Morning (Please someone check on me at 4:00AM sharp! Blue tent, by the pavilion.)
2) Don't get sick like I did at Dances with Dirt. (That sucked.)
3) Make it to at least the Rock Point Aid Station (Half way: 52 miles).
4) Keep walking/shuffling until I either time out, break a bone, sprain a nerve, twist a brain cell....or finish?
I think I will make it to Goal 4 and time out or get off trail and wind up in Cleveland.

I had a lot of set backs this year, but was able to keep my fitness level in check with CrossFit, but the time on my feet thing really hurt me. CrossFit cannot give me that.
To be honest, I am looking forward to being part of an amazing event shared by so many of my trail running friends.
Sad to say but my buddy Rob "Tough as Nails" Powell will not make it as I have ordered him to sit this race out and bring me a Pizza at Mile 62, to kick me in the ass, and Zap me with a Taser to get me to the Grist Mill at mile 75.
Nah, just kidding. He hurt his back trying to carry a rather large Keg of Beer like it was a Camelbak or something while on a training run. Okay, the part about the Keg isn't true either.

Today is Wednesday and I am already at Mohican in my head. Going over the trails and the aid stations. I need to relax and just take in the experience. That's what it is all about.
I'm actually bummed that more of my blog readers and friends cannot experience Mohican.
The best way I can describe it is that it's simply Magical.

I believe a BIG Thank You needs to go out to Don Baun who designed the course. Simply Awesome Don, but couldn't it be more of a downhill course? Just for the 20th anniversary?
I will be smiling from ear to ear and maybe giggling like a school-girl as I am running the trails on Saturday, because in my head...It's all Mine!
Zap, Zap

8 comments:

  1. You'll be fine. Just keep the walking going, it looks like it will cool off in the evening. Like Don sez "If the bone ain't showin you gotta keep goin"

    ReplyDelete
  2. RELENTLESS FORWARD MOTION...repeat...

    Get some good rest (I know that is hard for you) and hydrate now!!

    I can hardly wait for the report on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim: Good advice.
    I am wondering about the rain now. I have plenty of rain ponchos in my DB's and will carry one with me.
    I will be for sure singing my mantra: "Suck it up, Butter Cup"

    Robin: You'll be the first to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick,
    It's the mental part you need to focus on. When those nasty thoughts come in your head, think positive.
    Actually for everyone, the last hill is downhill and it should propel you to the finish line, unless your quads are shot.
    Good luck and will see you very very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don: The Quads will be shot.
    I'm wondering if I can walk down Big Hill backward. That thing is steep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RB: I will remember that as I am about to utter the words: "I'm done" and instead decide to keep my mind shut off and keep moving until they stop me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GO NICK!! You'll do awesome! Just take it easy and go slower than you think you should. Enjoy the ride and weather the storms (physical and mental.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL great post! Great job out there Nick!

    ReplyDelete