Sunday, June 14, 2009

Good Day at Mohican

Since my wife cannot join me next week for the Mohican Trail Run, we decided to take a quick trip up there and do a little site seeing and a run on the Purple Loop.
Now understand, my wife is repulsed by exercise and is not a runner. I have tried many times to get her to run with me, but I have somewhat failed in that category. I can't have everything right?
I was able to talk her into and easy 4 miles on the most beautiful trail sections of Mohican State Park. I just love this place!
We were not even a mile into the run, and she said: "how much further"? I replied: "about 3 and a 1/2". "WHAT!?!?!?! My legs are dead tired". I started laughing. I told her it was all down hill after we passed the Dam.
There was a lot of potty mouth from my wife as we trudged up the big hill during the second mile. I cannot repeat them here as children may be reading, but it was comical. "I thought it was all downhill"? This went on and on. I was having fun with it as I had not even broken a sweat at this point.
We were running along and a couple on horseback sneaked up on us. Every time I run out there it never ceases to scare me to death when I run into people on horseback. It is weird to have this giant animal appeared out of nowhere when rounding a corner of a secluded trail. This was the first time I ever ran across horseback riders on this loop.
We finished the loop and I talked my wife into walking through the Mohican River to cool off.
I took her on a drive around the area to check out the race course and to go up to Landoll's Castle. In all the times I volunteered at the Landoll's Castle aid station for the race, I had never been up to the castle. This place was awesome. We were way too muddy and wet to go in, but I can tell you I want to live at this place.

After the Castle visit we went driving a little more and ended up at the Fire tower in Mohican. This was the first time I ever climbed up to the top. It was a little unnerving with the tower shaking. The staircase leading up to the top is steep and narrow. One slip and down you go.


The view was incredible. Well worth the climb up.


My wife is the little red dot to the left. Not sure if you can click on full view or not. She chickened out about a 1/4 of the way up. She was getting dizzy. Actually, I didn't blame her. She missed out on a great view.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like you both had a blast! Great Shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is smart enough to see what the "dark side" is like and stay far away from it :))

    Great picture of the two of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some nice solid bonding time for ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here - my hubby won't run and eat healthy! But maybe some things are supposed to be done without the spouse. Love the new header by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great you got her out there and run the Purple loop with you. Man, that's the cool one too (Big Lyon Falls, Little Lyon Falls). Can't wait for Saturday @ 5am!!

    Oh yeah, I love the new header pic too! Is that the Green loop from Fire Tower to CB? Looks like it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob: It is a great shirt. One of my favorite.

    Robin: She already knows. Can't fool her.

    Ray: It was bonding I think my no longer wants any part of.

    Stephanie: Sometimes it is a great thing to just get away by yourself.

    Luc: That is the Purple Loop. I took that picture the day my wife and I ran it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great day for sure.

    The new header pic is very lush. My park has all turned brown for the summer.

    ReplyDelete