Saturday, April 25, 2009

Zapped!


I decided to go for a trail run this morning at Salt Fork State Park with Kim right after work. Check out her blog for a recap of the run plus more pictures.

I knew going into this run that I would be so tired from being up all night because of work. Seemed like a good Ultra Training to me.
Kim showed me her Sparkly-New Buckle from Umstead 100 mile trail run that she recently completed.

We started out on the Horseman's camp trail with what we believed would be 12 miles. The trail is all bridal trail and can make for some nice muddy running. I wasted no time getting into the mud.
The temps were great and we even had a nice breeze kick up at times. For some reason, not sure exactly, but I was spent even after 6 miles. This trail was no easy picnic. There were a lot of ups and downs. The heat by this time wasn't helping any either plus, I ran out of water.
I was Zapped of my energy. (I still am actually)
Kim kicked up a Wild Turkey going up a hill and I near came out of my skin. Wasn't ready for that one.
We had a great time despite the early exit from the trail.
I came home and almost instantly fell asleep. The sun just took a lot out of me. Not good news as I need to heat train for upcoming races.

Here are a few extra shots of today: Salt Fork Run

3 comments:

  1. Running out of water is my "nightmare"...great job though on a first tain run in the warm weather. I've been really tired after my runs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ran out of water many times before. I think my big fear now is running out of cold water.
    Kim and I were talking on this run about Steri-Pens that can be used to clean creek or lake water. Sounds gross, but you never know if your stuck and far away from water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nick, just found the blog and enjoyed the post. Here in New England we have had our first little bout of warm weather running, which was not very pleasant since it fell on a race day! Sometimes the canopy of foliage doesn't protect against things like humidity!

    Look forward to reading more of your adventures! I am hoping to join the Ultra club sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete