Sunday, April 5, 2009

Fools Race



I started off today by getting up way too early at 3:30AM to make it to Peninsula, Ohio for the Inaugural Fools 25k & 50k. Nice thing about being out this early is there were no cars on the road.
After giving Rob and Don their "Presents" and harassing Michelle about not bringing her any "Presents", I took a few pictures and we were off . I believe there were about 200 runners that turned out for the race.

I will have to say, this race was well put together and the volunteers were awesome. Probably the best aid station volunteers I've experienced during a race.
For some reason, I simply could not relax today. Not sure really what it was. In reality it was all about a training run and not a race. I'm not a racer don't intend to be but, it was sure fun to pick people off at the end of the race.

Even at the 13-14 mile mark, I still was unsure if I would continue on and do the loop again for a 50k. In the span of 1 mile, I came up with about a dozen reasons why I shouldn't and decided to call it a day with a 25k.
I have a 50k coming up in a couple of weeks and just wanted to play it smart.

I hung out with the 1st Place Woman (3rd overall for the 25k) and the Race Director of the Mohican 50k. They're alright people. Very Humbled, very fast, and don't forget: comical.

We waited on Mr. Don Baun to finish the 50k. None of us was smart enough to realize we could have been down at the Winking Lizard drinking beer while we waited. But, we were nice and decided to wait.
After a killer Burger and an awesome Hoegaarden (thanks Rob) we parted ways.

I came home more tired from the drive than the race, and my wife was watching some Love Story crap (all day long). I decided at that point to go out and do a CrossFit workout on my own and regain some of my testosterone lost from watching whatever it was she was watching.

WOD:
20 Push Ups
5 Pull Ups
25 KB swings with 53lb KettleBell.
4 Rounds for Time, except I forgot to stop my timer. Oh well.

10 comments:

  1. Playing it smart...is smart. ;)

    Given you have a 50K, I'd agree that calling it burger-time after the 25K was a wise decision.

    Congrats on knocking that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! good discipline to play it safe and injury free. and then, to do a cross fit on the same day! so, how's the testerone now? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray: I simply couldn't decide and in the span of about 10 minutes I made my mind up that I needed a beer and just called it a day.

    RG: The Testosterone levels are at peak right now. I could go out for run now, or I could judt go watch Heli-Loggers or something.
    Hey, I had a Hoegaarden. mmmmmmm...I love Belgians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good call, brains over miles wins again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your decision on making it a 25k. Use it as a warm-up. GREAT JOB!!!

    You said: my wife was watching some Love Story crap ..... those are fighting words!! Sometimes we just need it.... so back off!!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way cool fun this weekend and thanks for the present!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The present was great or I will know in a week or two.
    Nice spending time chewing the fat.
    No one can say it wasn't a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stuart, I am hoping to make that a habit this year.
    Robin: Now, "you & others" may watch all the sappy stuff you want, I won't say a word as long as I can watch Axmen or Heli-Loggers afterward and permitted to leave the room. : )
    Rob & Don: You’re welcome. Hope we can make a new batch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Nick.

    You are among the few who ran the Fools FA before it became an actual race.

    Just so you know, the RD will accepts "presents" too, but not bribes. :)

    Good luck at the Mo' 50k

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Lloyd. I will make sure you get a "Present" next time.
    That was a nicely organized race. The volunteers were much more than I expected.
    I tried to bribe the aid station workers into telling everyone behind me to go a different way. I also tried to bribe a course marshal. If I had a 100 bucks on me, I would have won the race.

    ReplyDelete