Monday, August 31, 2009

Mohican Fun Run - Short version

I am wearing the Sweetest Shirt this side of the Mohican River........

I went out to Mohican today since I was a sorry ass on Sunday and over slept. I really needed to get some miles in and today was "No Excuse Day".
My original plan was to get in at least 38-40 miles. I wanted to run the Red/Green, Orange, and Purple Loops.
I was feeling awesome at the start and decided to just take it easy and enjoy the nippy cold air and the quietness of the Mohican Wilderness. I can tell you the temps have dropped here almost to a Fall like feel. At the first water crossing, I let out a "Whoa that's COLD"!

After a while, I decided to turn up my pace a bit. If any of you have ran this loop, you know it typically takes you longer to run 21 miles on it versus 21 on the road or any other trail for that matter. Typically around 5 hours is what to expect. I think the last time, we ran it in 5.5 hours. I ended up running the entire loop in 4 1/2 hours. I shaved an entire hour......down to the minute off my previous time around this trail. I decided to hit the Orange trail and run it backwards, but somewhere around mile 25, I decided I wasn't going to have enough time to do the distance, get back home, and get some sleep before work. I never want to start work tired. Alertness is key for my job.
Anyway, I cut the run short and ran around the campground to get in exactly 31 miles. I'll take it. This should help me with Dances With Dirt...coming up.



Purdy New Shoes and some New Camo Gaiters about to get some mud.

On a side note, yesterday I bought a pair of Brooks Cascadia version 4. These shoes freakin ROCK. Out of the box I slam 31 miles on them. My feet had no blisters at all. The shoes felt great, but I will need a few more miles on them to call the "Broken In". I'll periodically put up a review on them, but so far, they are awesome.


Totals: 31 miles - Trail: 6 hours 20 minutes....I think this is a non-race PR for me at a 50k.......

10 comments:

  1. Nice milage, I tried the Cascadias but they weren't for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good restful day and cooler temps makes a run much better. Nice job, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send some of that fall weather out my way, ok?

    I love me my Brooks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Nick!

    Love the new kicks too. I think I may resort back to the Brooks, my Asic Get-Trabuco's aren't cutting it anymore (after +600 miles). My Brooks Cascadia 3's have almost 700 miles on them and you would never know it to look at them. Brooks makes a good shoe. You chose wisely young Skywalker. :)

    Do great at Dances with Dirt man!! I'll be rootin for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darell: I'll be out your way in November. It better be hot when I get there!

    Luc: I am glad I never gave up on the Cascadias. Before they just didn't suit me. I think the newest generation are great shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! Wish I coulda been there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I didn't realize they made Gators for running shoes. I haven't thunk about gators since back in my Boy Scout days on hikes.

    Nicely done, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet! I got the Cascadia 4's. I haven't even ran in them yet, but I love em already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just figured it out.... you are freaking hammering the miles from all of that home brew. It has to be the key!!

    Brooks Cascadia.... are the BOMB!!

    ReplyDelete