Monday, October 12, 2009

My wife says.......

"This has got to be your worst idea ever"

?huh? -She must be smokin something 'cause I think it is the best idea ever!!!!

After some consultation with Mike Keller, it was decided that I needed to build a sauna around my treadmill to do some heat training for Javelina.
Right now in Arizona, the highs are mid to high 80's. Here in the cold Tundra of Ohio, it is in the low 40's. Yeah....worst idea ever? Don't think so.
So I build this "room" out of 2x4's and plastic sheathing. Then I put Mikes heaters in there and got the heat up to about 85 degrees. I walked/ran for about 10 minutes. It will actually work just fine. I have a few more things to do so I can really crank up the heat.

I will report back tomorrow on how I do with getting it really hot in there.

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant! And I love the tractor tire in the foreground...we all know what you do with that!!! I think you should hold it over your head while you run 8:00 miles on the treadmill with all the heaters turned on full! Then you will probably set a course record at Javelina!!! :)

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you gotta do what you gotta do. I'd never do that, but it looks kinda cool, I mean hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, that would be awesome. I would break a Karl Meltzer Record for sure.
    Yep, I'm carrying on the family tradition of Tire Flippin!

    Darrell: It does work great.
    The weather in California holding?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Needs must, don't just look at the day's hi though, it may get desert cold at night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As much as I would love to side with your wife (girls must stick together) I think this is a freaking sweet plan. Brilliant!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stuart, us Ohioans can handle the cold....somewhat, the heat...we cannot.

    Robin, so far, it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your idea is genious and your wife is pretty cool to let you go through with your crazy ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crazy but a brilliant kind of crazy. I once had a friend who lived in Yellowstone, worked for the park service and she put her bike in the bathroom and cranked up some heaters, the built in ones and a plug in one. It worked. I like your idea a whole lot better though.

    I will be at Javelina but as crew and pacer. In a way I'm glad I'm not running it anymore since I got a reality check on the shape that I'm really in from last weekend's race.

    Stuart said to not to forget to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. VERY creative!! At first I thought you were nuts...the picture speaks a thousand words, but this is very, very smart indeed. You will be well-prepped for Javelina!

    Thinking outside of the box tends to result with the best ideas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks all. I.ve been wanting to do this but Mike helped kick me into gear to do it.
    My orginal plan was to get a propane heater, but he loaned me his.

    ReplyDelete