Thursday, October 8, 2009

Beer and Bacon....something to settle the nerves

I suspect that exactly 24 days from now, I will be sitting on a nice California Beach with a cold Beer in my hand watching the waves come in, the sun setting, and hopefully having the privileged in telling Paris Hilton to get lost. Now, what I am not sure of is that will I have a Javelina Belt Buckle in my hand. Don't want to jinx myself.
I am nervous beyond belief. I started getting this way in the past week or so with the thoughts of the race looming in the near distance. Now that it's October, that nervousness has climbed a little more. I also suspect that it will continue up until the time I toe the line and start my race at 6:00AM MT on October 31. Once the race commences, I will relax and run my race. I will run my race as I see it. I will run my race to finish. Whatever hand has been dealt to me that day, I will go with it. I will DNS this race: Do Nothing Stupid. I will be smart and run as conservatively as I can while giving myself some room to breath for the cutoffs. I don't care if I am DFL: Dead F'ing Last.
I was looking over the Pemberton Trail pictures that Lynn David Newton took one day while out exploring the trail.
This trail is where I will be making my first 100 mile attempt. Now, I know I ran Mohican 100 this year, but my goal there was to go half way, and if I did that in the allotted amount of time, I would go as far as I could go. I made it 64 miles. Much more than I ever conceived.
This time, I am going to attempt to run and finish my first 100. Right now, with the weather changing, I'm nervous. The heat in Arizona, although mild at the time I will be out there, (and I don't give a crap if it is dry heat), it's still hot and will sap all your energy if you're not prepared.
The temps here in Ohio have dropped down into the 40's and soon will dip further.
Mike Keller let me borrow all of his Space Heaters, and I plan on building a sauna around my treadmill. I am also praying for Indian Summer to come and sear us like bacon.......mmmmmmm.......Bacon.....Sorry, I couldn't find a real picture of bacon :)



Anyway, I was talking to a young lady at Dances with Dirt-Hell, and she said be prepared for the heat at Javelina. Most people keel off from the heat. The finishing rate in the past years at Javelina has hovered around 49%. The odds are not in my favor 'cause I don't do well in heat. Although, I didn't have too many issues with the heat like so many did at Mohican. I never felt hot, let's put it that way.
I have a feeling I will learn a lot during this race. I'm doing my best to take in all the advise I can from my Veteran Ultra Crazies. I've decided to heed their advise and not make a long distance push of 60-65 miles for my final long run. It's simply not needed, and they're right, I won't recover in time, and I will just risk getting myself injured.
Well see if I have what it takes to dig deep and push myself past that buzzing pain I felt at Mohican. That pain was stupendous. I can't imagine it would be any worse. Can it?
I'm hoping for some good drugs that will be produced by my body over the course of those 30 hours....or less.
Totals:
CrossFit Workout:
30 squats
30 push ups
100 Flutter Kicks
WOD:
21-15-9 of:
Thrusters: (65 lbs)
Mountain Climbers
500 m Row
3 Rounds for time.
My time: 12:12

8 comments:

  1. I approve of any future bacon related pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RM: I will see what I can dig up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - how did you EVER find that old photo of my A$$? I guess it's still floating around the internet, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Nick...I am sure it will go well and you have the right attitude going in...loved the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm, good. Bacon!

    I hope you can keep the nerves in check for the rest of the month. You'll have to start wearing sweats to run around Mohican to simulate the heat a little (but that won't be a dry heat).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick, good luck with your race. I can relate to your heat worries. I don't do well in heat either.

    Mmm, I love bacon, turkey bacon, less fat!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. seems 100's are in the air for a lot of folks next year. Smart using heaters to train in. Hot=Hot

    Scott loves both kinds of bacon... get it...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stuart, I plan on doing just that.
    I may have no choice but to take it really easy since this ankle is still messed up.

    ReplyDelete