Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring is here

Something woke me up today a little early and I thought it was a warm spring breeze. No wait, it was only a dream. It was actually my dog breathing in my face. I think he actually sensed the spring like weather and wanted to go outside. I got up and noticed the sun shining brightly upon us. I quickly checked my running schedule, and was excited to see it was a Chestnut Ridge Metro Park run.
I quickly threw my running gear on and headed out the door as I knew I didn't have much time until I had to get back for my on call rotation.

I snapped pictures while I was running, but you can get somewhat of a sense what the terrain is like out there in this park.

This is actually really good Ultra training grounds as the trail varies a lot in elevation gain and loss. I don't know the exact numbers yet. Plus, it is only a few miles from my house. The hills are relentless. Nothing like Mohican, but good enough. There is one hill I call the Heart Stomp Hill. It is a little over 3/4 of a mile long, and when you thought you were at the top, it keeps climbing. This is a great place to do both up hill and down hill training. I can imagine after 15-20 miles of running this, your quads would be trashed.
I ended up doing 3 loops which gave me 6 miles.

By the time I was on my 3rd loop, I was walking most of Heart Stomp Hill.
The end of the loop there is a really long downhill that will prepare your quads, and allow for a little bit of speed work.


Totals: 6.25 miles.......Time:1:08:14......10:55 pace (Very Hilly)

Start of the trail:



Here is Heart Stomp Hill looming in the background. It winds all the way to the peak you see in the middle of the picture.


End to a relentless downhill:

2 comments:

  1. Great pics and snow free wahoo!!!

    Looks like perfect conditions and the trail looks real pretty, I guess the grass is always greener, right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This park is really nice during all the season. These are the hills that were formed when the glaciers stopped in Ohio.

    I felt the warmth as I ran in un-shaded parts yesterday. It was real nice.

    ReplyDelete