Monday, April 7, 2008

Fools FA = Baconator


Okay, sorry for the late post. I know everyone has been on edge to read about the Fools FA on Sunday. : )
In short, it was a great time. Met some new people I have only heard about.
The trails up in CVNP couldn't be better. I envy those runners and what they have up there.
We started out at 7AM as a group which quickly thinned out within a few miles.
I ended up running with Roy Heger for a short while until I found out he had the flu, and then I flew on down the trail. -Sorry Roy. The trails for the most part were not too bad in terms of hills.

It was a very runnable course. Lloyd Thomas, who had put on the event, was running circles around everyone that day, had stopped to take pictures of people, and we eventually ran together for a few miles. Actually, I think he was walking while I was running. : )

We discussed the CVNP and different aspects of running. I had first met Lloyd last year at Mohican when I was out marking the Red/Green loops of the Mohican 100 course. I went out ahead of the runners and made sure the lime markings were still good. He was one of the leaders of the race and came upon me just before the Fire tower aid station.
Here is a picture of Lloyd and I after the Fools FA:





I ended up getting both a good uphill and downhill work out. I noticed so many people had their dogs out for a walk on the trails. So many big dogs including Labs.

So, why didn't I finish a full 50k?
The temps warmed up as the day went on, and I was feeling really guilty about being out there, and my dog being stuck in a crate all day. I had about a 2 1/2 hour drive back home and decided, I'd had enough. I was feeling good despite feeling guilty about leaving my dog all day.

I had left at 3:30 that morning, and wouldn't get home until after 5:30. I knew I only had a little bit of daylight left after I got home.
Anyway, I have been wanting to try a Baconator ever since they came out like last year, and decided today was the day. So, was I man enough for the Baconator?
You betcha.
I ate it and then a few hours later went to diner with my wife.
Update:
I forgot to add that I covered 45k in 6:09.
I felt fairly decent at the end and could have gone ahead with the rest of it but again, read above why I didn't.

5 comments:

  1. Nice job, sounds like a grand day out. How much distance did you cover though, I couldn't find a not of it in your post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the dog get out for a romp though???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a great time and the main thing is you had fun. I hope the doggy had a great time outside too!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim,
    Yeah he got outside but no romping around. He had a little set back last week and had to go back to OSU for a recheck. I got yelled at for being too lenient.
    We just sat outside in the grass and relaxed the rest of the day.
    A good day altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rob,
    Yeah, I had an absolute blast up there.
    CVNP is a really nice place to run at. Too bad I live so far away.

    I can't get anything done cause I need to constantly keep him relaxed.

    ReplyDelete