Monday, October 22, 2007

Slower runners don't count......or do they?

I was reading through this mornings Columbus Dispatch about the Columbus Marathon, oh wait, excuse me, The Nationwide Better Health Columbus Marathon. What a way to kill our home town marathon name. Let's slap yet another Nationwide logo on something that does not need it. Give me a break.

Anyway, I was reading about the marathon, and noticed at the end of the paragraph it states: "More coverage and the top 1,000 finishers in the race."
What? what about the remaining finishers? Do they not count because they were too slow? I remember my first Columbus Marathon. Back when it was just called: "The Columbus Marathon" I was so proud to see my name published in the Columbus Dispatch. There it was: my first marathon. -I still have it by the way.

I started thinking about all those who may have wanted to see their name in the paper. After all, how often do you get the chance to see your name in THE PAPER?
So to ponder my original question: Were they too slow to count? Yes/No/Maybe????
I think the Dispatch would have been overwhelmed by the record number of entrants/finishers for the printing of the lowly Monday edition.
I would have to guess it would be as thick if not thicker than the Sunday paper.
Being a slow runner myself, I feel for the people who did not make to the press.

Again: Do they count? ABSOLUTLEY.
All runners count including the walkers. Could you imagine walking 8 or more hours during a race? Hmmm, sounds like something I would do during an ULTRA!

2 comments:

  1. Huh? The Akron Beacon Journal lists all the runners...granted, not as big a race as Columbus, but still!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about three years ago they stopped printing all the names in the Columbus Dispatch. I can't remember if Chicago and New York printed the names or not. I'll have to look.

    ReplyDelete