Monday, September 28, 2009

What an Awesome Sunday.

I met up with a great group of ultra runners on Sunday for another awesome day of running at Mohican State Park.
This group of runners consisted of some of the best around: Mark, Rob and Michelle.

Mark apparently didn't get the memo regarding the Mandatory Red Shirt rule for this run.
He was excused for this mix up cause he had the same shorts on as me and he went and changed into a Red shirt.
After looking at this picture, It appears that Mark and Rob have skirts on, but I cannot confirm nor deny this. I know I didn't. You be the judge.

The rain was coming down but the forest canopy kept us somewhat dry for a little while.
I knew I was gonna be in trouble, cause Mark was leading the charge up the Red Hill switchbacks and he made it look like it was all effortless, Rob was a quick second behind and Michelle seemed to be running in place gnashing at the chance to blow by us all.

"Man, I am in for it." I thought. "I hope they take it easy on me."
This rain wasn't going to help any with my lack of clothing. I was cold at first, but it was soon to change. By the time we reached the top of the hill, I was burning up, and wishing no one was around so I could take my shirt off. -I know, bad mental image.

Anyway, we were cruising along catching up with each others' lives and laughing so hard at the small talk and great stories that come from these long trail runs. There is nothing like being out on the trail with this group of runners. All of them are so inspiring.
It was brought up that every ones advise always sucks, but with these guys, I love to hear what they have to say because they have been there and seen it all.

A mile or two into the green loop we happened upon a old man who ran his car off a driveway bridge. The car was near it's flipping point and the poor guy was unable to move.
Officer Richard Noggin and Deputy Douchebag from the Loudonville Police Department arrived on the scene beating on their chest and acting like a couple of jackasses. Before they arrived, Rob and Mark were talking to the guy assessing the situation and trying to keep the poor guy calm. These guys show up barking orders and talking like they were King and Queen of the Hill.

Before any of us said something to set them off even more, we decided to exit the situation. We couldn't help anymore because the Calvary was there and they needed no help because they had all the solutions. These dumb asses are what give good Police Officers a bad name.

We had a hard time getting started again as we were freezing cold from standing around and the rain never stopped. The stream crossings were cold, yet refreshing.
My energy level seemed consistent throughout the run. I felt as good if not better than when we started. I was running along and I looked back and noticed at times I was alone. Opps. I was kind of in a zone and didn't think about it. I waited for everyone to catch up.

Now, this is nothing really because, Rob is coming back from a debilitating injury that he has been dealing with for a while now, Michelle was up all night with her duties of being a mother and working. She had maybe a few hours of sleep. Plus she ran 20 miles the day before.
Mark had ran a 50k the previous week with an incredible 5:17 for a (from what I hear) very technical race course. He was probably still sore and recovering.

Any of these runners, Michelle who is attempting to run a sub-3 hour race for Columbus Marathon coming up, Rob who ran the Green Jewel 50k in 4:12, and Mark who is one of the modest guys I know, but will kick your ass down the trail on any given day.
I was feeling good and just excited as always for being out on the Mohican trails and running through the rain.

Mark and I challenged each other to run up the biggest, baddest hill on the Green Trail.
I have never ever ran up this hill. When you think it sucks, it gets worse. When you look up at the top of this hill, you have to get it out of your mind that you have to go up there. It just goes on and on and gets steeper with every step. You actually cannot see the top of it.

Mark sent me a reply signal as he neared the top in response to me yelling "Come On Mark"
We were both wiped out, but we both ran up that beast.

It was a day I never wanted to end. I tried to get them to run the Purple loop with me, but in reality, I didn't have enough time.
I was headed to Peninsula Ohio to run with another group of runners at the Virginia Kendall Park which is part of the CVNP.

I met up with Brian and Jeff Musick. I pleaded for them to take it easy on me as I just ran 21 miles and drove and hour and a half. I was freezing up. Brian told me there would be no fast running today.
There were supposed to be more people showing up, but in the end, it was just us three.

We started at the Happy Days visitor center and I was feeling like an old man.
Each steps was a little achy. "Suck it up" I said to myself. "It's only 10 miles."

The more I run these trails, the more I like them. I'm envious of those who live so close to such a great park system.
One of these days, I will run the Burning River 100 and see for myself the Beautiful Jewel this park really is. Here is a picture at the overlook trail. You can see the Cuyahoga Valley in the background.




The pace seemed fast, but in reality it wasn't. I was still trying to warm back up from the run at Mohican. My body was too cooled down. I needed this push to help with leg turn over. We descended down a hill that helped a little. These two brothers are no newbies at running and have a feeling this run was effortless. I was shocked to see Jeff, who was only carrying a camera and no water. This is a sign of incredible efficiency. I suck down water like drain. I don't even think they were sweating.
We decided to cut the run short and instead of running, we'd head to the Winking Lizard for a beer. All we could think about for the last 4 miles was Beer! It was my fault, I got it started.
Then I started craving the "Hanson Burger" as you see below. I just had to get one.

After the Winking Lizard, I headed my sorry sore ass back to Pickerington which was 3 hours away. I was gonna attempt to make it in 2 1/2 hours.....which I did.
Today, I am a little sore but, nothing that is too bad. I will make today a rest day and get back at it tomorrow.

Totals:
31 miles on Trail

8 comments:

  1. AWESOME adventure with awesome people, all of whom I am jealous you ran with! Great day! If you want a short easy run this week hit me up...I am supposed to be taking it easy for NC24 (everyone says I have to.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was Mike.
    I will leet you know. I might want to get a couple of miles in tomorrow and Wednesday.
    I'll be available after 7:00. Might be dark by then though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a ton of fun. But you ran an ultra and didn't get a shirt? What's up with that? And it looks to me like your friends ARE wearing skorts. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo Lynn, it was just a training run. I wished every time I did an Ultra training run some one would give me a shirt and/or medal.

    We did have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick,

    Reading your blog makes me want to quit my job and just go out running.........can I do that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes they were skorts and Nick ran with us. So I do not know what to say about that besides what a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PF: You can do that. I'm all for it.
    Man, do I wish I have won the lottery. I'd move out west and run all the time.

    Rob: So funny. It was awesome to have you there as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an awesome adventure. Way to go out there. I especially liked Office Richard Noggin and Deputy Douchebag. :) I can't believe you ran up that hill either!!

    ReplyDelete