Monday, September 21, 2009

Back at it

I pretty much took all last week off to relax and get my severely bruised foot healed up a little.
Today I decided to go to CrossFit and workout a little before heading off for a run at Blendon Woods Metro Park with Cat.
At CrossFit, things seemed weird. Actually the last two or three times I've been in there the atmosphere has been different.
Seems like the number of clients at CrossFit are dwindling.
It got me thinking a while back and I just attributed it to being Summer time. Not sure why exactly but I have not seen a lot of people I once worked out with in a long time.
I think CrossFit for me has ran it's course. I will continue to do CrossFit but probably on my own. To me, it's wasting my time and money when I go in there for a workout and end up with a massive headache in the middle of the workout. My Endocrinologist says I can still run and workout, but to keep an eye on myself and stop when needed.
Thank goodness we have great instructors that allow me to scale back my workouts and intensities.
As a runner, I think I am going to begin focusing on doing more Kettlebell work and throw in CrossFit workouts on my own in my garage. That way, I have control over how things go and what works for me. Oh yeah, I need to focus more on running.
Last year as some may remember, I messed up my foot at the Columbus Marathon. To this day, it still has not healed fully. I wanted to do CrossFit to supplement my running. I definitely think it has done it's job. I still remember my first Month of CrossFit. I wanted to throw up every time on my way home from the gym. Thanks Eddie!
CrossFit will still be with me, I'm just sure it will soon take a back seat to other adventures.

Today's run:
I met up with Cat (aka: "Snake Wrangler") - more on that in a minute. We decided to get a few miles in on trail at Blendon Woods Metro Park. We ran a few loops to give us about 5 1/2-6 miles.
This run was a lot of work. I felt like I was running with a Barbell loaded down with weights.
The terrain wasn't that hilly, but I felt like I just smoked a carton of cigarettes and was wearing lead shoes. I think this was because I wasn't recovered enough from last week. Plus, I'm not eating enough Bison......Note to self: "Buy more Bison......Eat more Bison......Will run like Bison"

Okay, back to the "Snake Wrangler". We were running along and I jumped about 3 feet into the air. I was totally freaked out by what I saw on the ground....a snake.


Now, I don't give a flying hoot how big a snake is, I hate them, always and forever, hate snakes.
I went back and looked at the poor little guy. We started laughing cause the snake was probably about 5 inches long....if that. I'm not sure what kind it is. Cat seemed to think it was a Copperhead. All I cared about was that it didn't bite me.
She grabbed a stick and started poking at it. The poor little thing seemed to be dead.

When we were driving back out we spotted a flock of Wild "City" Turkeys.

They just stood there and could have given a crap less if we were gawkin at them. Real Wild Turkeys, like the ones at Mohican, would have been long gone.



Totals: Run 7 miles plus CrossFit
Warmup
Row 1000m
20 walking lunges ea leg
20 pushups (10 HSPU if able)
20 pullups
20 4 count flutterkicks
20 rollovers

Skill
Overhead Squat5 sets of 7 - Increase weight each time

WOD
21 Deadlifts / 225#M / 150#W
Run 800m
15 Deadlifts
Run 800m
9 Deadlifts
Run 800m

8 comments:

  1. Yep, I'd like to think I am a manly man, but I hate snakes, too. I have this fear of being bit during a race and being at the back of the pack and having no one find me as I die from the poison... ugh. There's a really rugged trail race here in New England, and part of it require some hand over hand climbing on some steep rock faces, and I always get freaked out about grabbing for a rock and finding a snake instead, which would normally be cast away as a silly thought, but when you are physically and mentally fried, well, it all takes a life of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart decision on the CF. If you noramlly get headaches than you are more than making the right call!! Take care of yourself!!

    add spiders to the snake list. I also wonder how I can be SO freaking scared of a spider than is no larger than a pea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you with the snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder I don't run like a buffalo! Gotta change my diet...too funny!! If that was a copperhead those things are very dangerous! Better safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob, I think we are one in the same. You woulda freaked at my last race. Running through swamps...basically snake territory.
    I never saw one snake.

    Robin: I once got a frantic phone call from Heather that she was in the shower and she didn't have her contacts in. She went to grab the soap and she thought this wad of hair started moving. Turns out it was a huge spider. She totally freaked out. She trapped it and said it was the biggest spider in the world.
    When I got home and looked at it, the spider wasn't that big. -I turned it loose. : )

    Darrell: I am not sure how you do it being in SoCal. I would die.

    Mark: You must be eating some kind of animal cause you are a beast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boomer LOVES wild turkeys. He even brought me one once. He loves me too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we should all move to New Zealand, number of poisonous things there....zero!

    CF has served it's purpose and it's time to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As much as I love the trails I would prefer them without certain animals; as snakes and bears.

    ReplyDelete