Sunday, November 1, 2009

Javelina Jundred - Short version

Okay, I DNF'ed at mile 51. My back gave out on me when going up uphill the last 3-4 miles before I dropped.
I had it in me, just couldn't push through the back pain and spasms.
This course and race is awesome. Highly recommended, but don't take it for granted. The heat will eat you up and the cold will leave you curled up on the ground crying (as I did see).
I have some great pictures I will share later.
Coyotes within yards of us. Kinda freaky, but awesome.
I will write a longer entry later when I get a chance.
Thanks too everyone who called me and wrote messages of support.
I'm not dissapointed in myself. I was in good spirts (most of time), had energy, I knew I could do it.
I had a terrible headache between mile 30-46, and my back was hurting pretty bad. I started questioning myself, but when my headache and back started feeling better, I started running again. When I hit that long uphill towards Jackass Junction, it finally was too much.

I know one thing, I am taking a while off from any races. I need to get a few things settled before I make anymore plans.

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the DNF, but that is what makes 100s so special - nobody knows whether they will finish. Even Scott Jurek DNF's. Have a good recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a colossal effort....and I mean the training leading up to it as well as the epic journey through the desert. What an amazing 2009 you have had. You deserved the finish but, as they said in Godfather II, "This is the business we have chosen". I am proud to say I know you and prouder still to call you my friend. Peace friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the DNF but you made the right decision. You should hold your head high!! Get better and we'll run some at MO!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough break with your back giving out on you. You made a brave attempt and that counts for something. Get Well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry it didn't go as planned. :-/

    But look at the bright side - it's now the offseason! Pizza & Beer time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer about your back and the DNF. Sounds like it was still a great experience overall. Enjoy your time in Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my book a dnf is always better than a DNS.

    Looking forward to tthe pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of these days I may attempt 50 miles, but right now I can't imagine how you did it. Looking forward to some great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Recover well Nick. Tough to enter a big race not feeling a 100% percent. Glad you gave it a go though, only way you were going to know. Take your time coming back and it was good to finally meet you in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great effort, way to give it your all 'til you couldn't! That's what counts. Have a good recovery and sort through life and you'll come back stronger!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Nick!! It's amazing that you went all the way out there for this race and made it so far with all of your obstacles. You're a force to be reckonned with!

    Call me when you get back and need some "man time" with a beer and an open fire. I'm doing Bobcat Trail Marathon tomorrow, then I too am taking an extended break in preparation for my 2010 goals. A 'crossfit' style regiment training plan is in my list of things to do. Just FYI when we are sitting by the fire with beer... :)

    Rest long man! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete